Puliyogare | Tamarind Rice
- Uncooked Rice - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups of water
- Tamarind Pulp - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 4 tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
- Urad Dal - 2 tablespoon
- Chana Dal - 2 tablespoon
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Dry Red Chillis - 2
- Green Chillis - 2
- Curry leaves - 10 -15
- Asafoetida - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Turmeric - 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Methi Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cook rice with water till they are soft.
- Add oil in a deep pan or kadhai. Once it is hot, add hing, mustard, urad dal, chana dal, peanuts, dry red chili. Let it roast for 2 minutes.
- Add curry leaves, slit green chili and roast for 2 minutes. Add tamarind pulp, turmeric and salt.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes till the oil separates from tamarind pulp. Meanwhile get the cooked rice on to a plate and let it cool down.
- Now add dhaniya ( coriander) powder and methi ( fenugreek) powder to the mix. let the tamarind pulp cool down and then add it to the mix.
- Puliyogare or Tamarind Rice or Puliyodhare is ready to be served hot.
Playing with words and playing with ingredients give her similar pleasure! She is a feminist and a doting mom who loves to explore the alternative path. Good food and good conversations often make her happy.