Punjabi Chana Masala – Tasty Curry
- Chickpeas/ chana - 1 glass
- Onions/ pyaz - 1 big (finely chopped)
- Ginger/ adarak - 1 inch piece
- Garlic/ lehsun - 2-3 cloves
- Green chili/ hari mirch : 2 pieces
- Tomatoes - 2 big (chopped)
- Asafoetida/ hing - 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds/ raai - 1/2 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds/ jeera - 1/2 teaspoons
- Spices/ masale - turmeric/ haldi, red chili/ lal mirch powder, chana masala powder - 2 tablespoons, coriander/ dhaniya powder - 1 tablespoon, cinnamon stick/ dalchini - 1, kashmiri dry red chili/ khadi lal mirch, black pepper seeds/ kali mirch - 6, bay leaves/ tej patta - 1
- Salt/ namak to taste
- Oil/ tel - 5 tablespoons
- Coriander leaves/ dhaniya patta - handful chopped
- Lemon juice/ neebu ras - 2 tablespoons
- Soak chickpeas for overnight or atleast 6 hours. Drain water from it and keep the water aside as will be used for making curry. Add salt to chickpeas and allow 5-6 whistles in a pressure cooker on medium flame. Keep it aside.
- Make a paste of fresh tomatoes and chilies in a grinder. Similarly make a paste of onions, garlic and ginger.
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let the seeds crackles.
- Add all khadey masale - bay leaves, black pepper, dry red chili and cinnamon stick. Add paste of onions, garlic and ginger and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining spices (chana masala, coriander, turmeric and red chili powder). Saute for a while and add paste of tomatoes and green chilies. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for about 20 minutes till oil starts separating the mixture.
- Add boiled chickpeas and the drained water from it. Mix well. Cook for another 10 minutes with a covered lid. Switch off the flame and garnish the curry with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Delicious 'Punjabi Chana Masala' is ready. Pour some fresh lemon juice over it and serve it hot with naan/ phulkas and jeera rice.
Good food creates good memories and can win many hearts. Being here in Germany, we miss Indian street foods. So I prepare them at home and enjoy it with my loving family !!!