Jeera rice is a flavourful and delicious Indian rice dish . It is mildly spiced with whole spices and has dominant flavours and aroma of Cumin seeds (Jeera). It is the simplest and easiest of all the flavored rice and can be served with almost all the north Indian gravy and dal dishes.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Recipe Text size
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 tsp Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 medium Onion sliced (Optional)
- 1 small piece of Cinnamon Stick
- 2-3 Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Black Pepper Corn
- Fresh Coriander leaves finely chopped for garnishing (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Wash the Basmati rice , drain and keep aside for at least 20 minutes. In a pan heat the ghee on a medium flame and add the Cumin and whole spices in it. Fry them until aromatic.
- Add the sliced Onions , if using and saute them until translucent.
- Now to this add the soaked rice and saute well for 1-2 minutes. Add warm water followed by salt and mix well. Once the water start boiling lower the flame and cover the pan.
- Allow the rice to cook completely on low flame. Open the lid in between and check once . Once the rice is completely cooked, put off the flame. Fluff the rice with a fork and remove in a serving vessel . Garnish with finely chopped fresh Coriander leaves and keep covered until serving time.
- Serve hot with any dal or gravy dish of your choice and enjoy !
Poonam Bachaav is a an amazing cook who is a mom, home chef and food blogger . A former microbiologist by profession , she is very inspired from her mom's ...Read more about this chef...